Chromebooks are awesome, aren’t they? You would be well aware of their user accessibility easiness if you’re a user like me. They are in a fair price range and loved by the Chromebook community. The latest Chromebook 11 has many exciting features, such as extensive 16 GB DDR3 RAM, an 11.6-inch touch screen that is fair for browsing, and the Intel Celeron processor.
Speaking about its size, it is really a smart-looking device and light-weighted, very easy to handle. Luckily Chromebooks are a far better option than their counterparts when it comes to supporting android apps. All in all, Chromebook 11 is the best choice for your work as it is inclusively designed to deal with many errors at a much more affordable price. In this article, we will discuss how to install Linux on Chromebook 11.
- Can You Run Linux on Chromebook 11?
- Why use Linux on a Chromebook?
- How Can You Install Linux on Your Chromebook 11?
- Installing Crouton Linux In Your Chromebook 11
- Why is it Safe to Use Linux On Chromebook 11?
- What do you need to do to move back to Chrome OS?
- How to Install Linux apps on a Chromebook?
- How you can Share Files Between Linux and OS Chrome
Can You Run Linux on Chromebook 11?
Chromebook 11 comes with a built-in OS; however, you can enjoy various Linux directors. Sufficient storage space is needed to install your favorite Linux apps. You can also check whether your Chromebook 11 supports Linux just by following these steps:
- Open the setting from the start menu.
- Go to the “Abundant Chrome OS option.
- Check your Chrome OS version.
- You can update it if it is under 69.
You can easily run and install Linux on your Chromebook 11 if it matches the above criteria.
Why use Linux on a Chromebook?
Chromebooks are ideal for running full desktop applications. Linux ensures you can access Android apps much more easily on your tablet or laptop, which were otherwise inaccessible. So Linux is a gateway to run your favorite apps and games on a pc.
However, the more powerful features of web apps, such as Snapseed and Pixlr, cannot be accessed on a Chromebook without a subscription.
GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is free and works on Chromebooks so that you can take advantage of many of the features found in Adobe Photoshop.
How Can You Install Linux on Your Chromebook 11?
The first step requires booting up your system. By following the simple steps which I am going to mention below, you can enjoy Linux on your Chromebook 11:
- Press the escape, refresh, and power buttons simuntanusouly and hold until the display goes blank.
- Ignore the Chrome OS and USB insert option.
- Now press CTRL+D.
- After pressing the ENTER key, wait for half a minute.
- The developer mode will start after that.
Disclaimer: The above option will cause you to erase the data on your disk, so we advise you to have a backup beforehand.
- The next step will demonstrate the Developer Mode is taking place.
- Wait until the OS Verification takes place.
- Don’t turn it off. Keep your patience meanwhile the process completes.
- You should be recognized now the developer OS Chrome with your Google account.
Installing Crouton Linux In Your Chromebook 11
The above method demonstrated how to install Linux Ubuntu on your Chromebook 11. Now we will explain how to run Crouton Linux in your Chormebook11. Follow these steps:
1. Download Crouton Linux from its original source.
2. Press CTRL+ALT+T
3. The terminal will open.
4. In the terminal, run the following command:
sudo sh –e/Downloads/ crouton -t xfce
5. Now let it properly install on your Chromebook 11.
6. Now add the login details that you used for Ubuntu.
Optimize Your Linux Desktop
Follow these steps to make your experience more awesome.
- By default, Ubuntu doesn’t install with so many tools, so you can install them using apt-get
- The Developer Mode message will appear when your Chromebook boots up, so it will take an extra 30 seconds.
- Press CTRL+D to skip it.
- In addition, you can revert to regular ol’ Chrome OS by rebooting your Chromebook and pressing the spacebar when it prompts you to reenable OS verification. Chrome OS will then be restored to its original state after Crouton is removed.
Why is it Safe to Use Linux On Chromebook 11?
In ChromeOS, a ‘sandbox’ is created to contain Linux and its apps because Linux is running within a Virtual Machine. ChromeOS apps will not be affected by problems you encounter with Linux apps.
Since the Chromebook’s sandbox encompasses every Linux-related program, Linux apps can impact other Linux apps.
This is a proven way to remove Linux and any other unnecessary program from your Chromebook 11, which requires disabling the feature from settings. So it helps you to get back to your standard Chromebook settings.
What do you need to do to move back to Chrome OS?
Are you considering a return to Chrome OS? You can restore your Chromebook to its original OS with these steps. I suggest restarting if you see your display’s color scheme inverted. Follow these steps.
- To access your name, click the top right corner of the page.
- Click the Log Out button
- Log off by clicking Log Out.
How to Install Linux apps on a Chromebook?
It is a normal practice you do some research beforehand when you try to install new apps. Finding an installer package in the .deb format is the easiest way to install a program. As with Windows or macOS, searching online is the same way you’d do it if you didn’t go through the App Stores.
How you can Share Files Between Linux and OS Chrome
Now you have learned how to install Linux. Keep reading to know how you can share files between your chrome OS and Linux.
- You have understood the fact by now that Linux has a different file system compared to your chrome OS. To get access to the Linux files, you need to move them from the downloads directory to the “Linux File Section.”
- Apart from that, you can also set ADR on your Chromebook 11 to run Android apps on your Chrome OS.
This article proves the advantages of running Linux on your Chromebook and proves Chromebook 11 is one of the best candidates to run and install Linux. If you follow the steps carefully, you can easily install Linux on your Chromebook 11 and enjoy its perks.